By: Stephanie R.C. Harageones
What’s better than treating yourself to sweet gear for Pride this month? Buying awesome gear and having the proceeds go to charities that help the community! Pride is hitting Rochester this month and you’ll be ready to roll, or even to sport all year round!
Mostly it’s clothing and some of it is more high-end ($100 for a sweet pair of Converse) to the more pocket-friendly places like Target and H&M. Below, here are the awesome thing you can buy (in alphabetical order by retailer), and a brief description of who they’re donating to and what each group does.
Brand: American Eagle
The classic staple for Americana gear is going all-in on its pride collection! 100% of their profits from the Pride collection go to the It Gets Better Project. It Gets Better is dedicated to “uplift, empower and connect LGBTQ+ youth around the globe.” They began in 2010 in response to recent teen suicides of LGBTQ+ youth, with the vision of older LGBTQ+ people giving teens everywhere some well-deserved insight and hope.
1) We start with an awesome 70s vibe; a mesh tank top. dark blue with yellow lining, a cool rainbow stripe across the chest and emblazoned with a small, but meaningful seal on the left which reads: “Playing for all sides, and proud”.
2) A subtle, yet inspiring grey t-shirt: “Love is the future” it proudly declares, in rainbow colors and adorned with stars.
3) And if you want to be extra loud and proud, there’s a tank top reading “SUPER GAY” with a sort of superhero whoosh behind them, rocked by both a male and female model nailing the look. So delightfully camp!
Everyone’s favorite sneaker brand is at it again! In the past, they’ve teamed up with Miley Cyrus, who started her own charity for homeless LGBTQ+ youth, The Happy Hippie Foundation. This year their profits are supporting the It Gets Better Project and OUT MetroWest. Out MetroWest, among other things, “builds communities where LGBTQ+ youth thrive” plus they also work towards “Affirming LGBTQ+ identities through positive role modeling” and “Creating supportive spaces where LGBTQ+ youth can be themselves.”
1) First up is a brand new piece: their first trans pride design: the Chuck 70 Pride Hi-top
2) Next we have a black T-shirt called Pride pocket which is where there is a rainbow stripe along the chest but the pocket state is black as a way to sort of cut into the design. it’s listed as a men’s t-shirt but certainly looks like it could be unisex.
3)Last but not least is a Chuck Taylor All-Star Pride low-top which is a simple black sneaker with rainbow design on the laces and the perimeter of the sole of the shoe. Low-key, cute & matches anything!
Yes, even the legendary family-friendly brand/media empire is going progressive! 10% of the profits for the Rainbow Disney Collection will go to GLSEN, the Gay, Lesbian & Straight Education Network who strive to “create safe and affirming schools for all, regardless of sexual orientation, gender identity, or gender expression.” It was founded back in 1990!
- Rainbow Mickey Ears: the classic Mickey symbol given a fun upgrade! Cute rainbow colors. Also, a Minnie Mouse version eng a rainbow bow!
- Rainbow Disney collection Mickey mouse pin set is a super cute set of pins, one featuring Mickey mouse in his classic pose with a rainbow stripe across his middle and the other one a rainbow heart with the Mickey design in the sensor. Adorable and great to share with friends!
3) Rainbow Disney Collection Mickey Mouse light-up necklace. Here’s a fun one that is absolutely ready for the streets! It’s a cute necklace with the classic Mickey mouse symbol in all different rainbow colors around a choker necklace and they all light right up. Super cute and lots of fun!
Since the early 2000s, H&M has been a staple in the US for cute, well-priced clothes and accessories. Their “Stay True, Stay You” line is no exception! 10% of each sale will be donated to the United Nations Free & Equal Campaign, which “champions for equal rights and fair treatment of the worldwide LGBTQ community.” Here’s the best of the best.
1)First up is a top that you can frankly wear all Pride month long it has their quote of “Stay true stay you” in rainbow letters on a white crop top. Simple, but adorable.
2)If you’re looking for something with that’s a little more subtle, it’s a basic black tank top that appears to be unisex that simply says “proud” in white lowercase letters and only has rainbow design along the sides.
3)One of the quirkiest and most interesting ones is a black bodysuit with a pride cape in the back that looks sort of like butterfly wings with of course of rainbow design it’s all kinds of awesome!
Target is one of the most well-known retailers of the 2000s and they have a range of products this year for Pride with their #TakePride line, with options for adults, kids and accessories too! They’re donating $100,000 to GLSEN.
1)Here’s one for you animal lovers out there: it’s a light blue ringer T-shirt with dark blue trim and it has a cat on the front with a rainbow overlay, & it’s purr-fect for Pride! (Sorry for the obvious cat pun…)
2)This next pick is actually a children’s shirt. It’s a simple light brown t-shirt that says “Love Changes The World” and “changes” is in rainbow letters. It’s cute and it’s wonderful they have something in case you want your kids to wear something fun for Pride too!
3) Last but certainly not least is a super-cute pride accessory: a trans Pride bandana that’s a great way to stay cool all summer long! It has the pride flag colors striped on it and comes with a simple bandana that you can use to accessorize.